Sunday, April 19, 2009

On a personal note ...

3 weeks ago I took a decision to leave my company where I have spent most of my career. The decision itself was easy. It was a rational decision based on opportunity, risk and the ability to follow my dreams. What happened after that took me by surprise.

People build their worlds around what they think is real. I am no different. My own reality centered around "what I did". My own achievements, my relationships and my personal challenges constituted the reality that I owned and nurtured. What I have realized over the last 3 weeks is that when you lead, you create a reality for those who choose to follow you. And when you decide to change your reality, it affects others deeply, in often un-intended ways.

I have spent the last few days dealing with the reality of others. It has been an amazing experience. I have come to notice that my impact on others was greater than I could ever imagine possible. The more I under-estiamte this impact, the less effective I become as a leader. By that order, I realized that I have not been very effective after all.

To all my colleagues who feel the impact of my decision ... I am sorry. Not for the decision itself, but for not taking the time to work with you in managing the impact. For being too focused on my reality and ignoring yours.

As I take on my new challenge, I am making a quiet promise to myself.

I will be aware of my impact ... at all times.

Tomorrow's leaders must vow to rid the world of the hubris, greed and self-interest of yesterday's boardrooms. As I embark on a journey to build tomorrow's leaders, I know that I will need to 'walk the talk'. Might as well make a start.

To everybody who has made the last 11 years of my life worth every minute ...

... Thank you.

Indro

8 comments:

Souren Sarkar said...

Hey Indro, good post. Wow 11 years at this job huh, that's a long time. I spent 7 years in my first job and it was hard leaving what felt like my friends and family. My current network and busines skills stems from everybody I met and everything I did on that first job. Bon Voyage!! Email me your new whereabouts.

Francisco de Moura said...

Indro,
Just read this post, and I would also like to comment about your impact.
The little contact I had with your work changed my perspective on many things in a unique, positive way. Thank you so much for what you do, and hope you have the best of luck on the new perspectives.
Best,
Francisco

Link Building Services said...

Thanks for sharing. Its good to see fresh content always.

Cynthia Kincaid said...

A personal opinion, quality, or thing belongs or relates to one particular person rather than to other people..

Judy Schramm said...

People use the phrase to introduce a personal story, announcement, or anecdote into a more formal discussion.

Sarah said...

Good leaders are made not born. If you have the desire and willpower, you can become an effective leader.

Judy Foster said...

Great post by you.....it is very informative..

Andriana Albert said...

It is a reality conversation....i liked it..